Detox is quite a buzz word today. Your Google search can bring up a lot of confusing information. For body cleansing to be effective, with the minimum amount of detox reactions, your routes or “channels” of elimination must be functioning at their optimum level. We must also understand why our world and bodies are toxic and understand how chemicals are still being developed, manufactured and used today to support the advanced society we live in.
Hippocrates Health Institute explains our dilemma: “Today we are being exposed to tens of thousands of harmful or potentially harmful compounds from the air, water, soil and food. They include pesticides, herbicides, solvents, petrochemicals, heavy metals, and plastics. Many of these substances are fat-soluble and can therefore persist in adipose tissue “fat” indefinitely. In 1982, the Environmental Protection Agency reported that a total of 20 toxic compounds were found in 76%–100% of adipose tissue samples from cadavers and elective surgical patients from all regions of the United States.[i]”
“We have a number of mechanisms to remove toxic substances from our body, or at least to metabolize them in ways that make them less harmful. Tissues and organs that play a role in the body’s response to toxic exposures include skin, kidney, liver, lungs, and bowel. Whether or not toxic exposures will cause illness depends both on the level of the exposures and on the body’s ability to detoxify. A toxin poisons its host only after it reaches a concentration within the host that interferes with its biochemical, physiological or other essential life processes. There is evidence that Parkinson’s disease and other motor-neuron diseases may be caused in part by the combination of exposure to neurotoxic environmental chemicals and impairments in the capacity to detoxify these chemicals.[ii] Chronic exposure to environmental toxins might also play a role in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, various other autoimmune diseases, some cancers, Alzheimer’s disease,[iii] and certain other chronic conditions.”
Their conclusion is that our total toxic load = total toxic exposure “minus” the ability to detoxify and excrete toxins.
The body is equipped to rid itself of toxins. The main channels for the excretion or elimination of toxins are your intestines, kidneys, liver and gallbladder, lungs, lymph and skin. One reason for hydrating your body is so the blood is the right consistency and can carry hydration to all the vital organs, tissues and glands.
Detox thru the Lungs: the lungs work to put oxygen in the blood and get waste gases out of the body that come from each cell of the body.
- Breathe deeply and regularly from the diaphragm to lift the abdomen and the chest. After you think you have expanded your lungs take an extra breath in before exhaling.
- Regular exercise so that you expand your lungs more as you need more oxygen while exercising; do it outside if you can.
- Get outside and walk so you are breathing fresher and moisturized air.
- Open your windows or doors if you can when it rains so you can air out your living space.
Detox thru the Skin: the skin is the largest organ of the body due to the surface area. The pores not only excrete toxins but also take in toxins. Many times skin disorders mean the colon is full and the body has to use this channel to get rid of things, hence acne, psoriasis, etc.
- The use of a sauna (especially infrared sauna) is a perfect method to detoxify via the skin. You need to hydrate with water and an electrolyte drink during the sauna therapy. Electro-Mix or Ultima are easy to find.
- Skin brushing with a soft bristle brush can help to eliminate dead skin.
- Aerobic exercise to help perspire will assist in skin detox.
- Guard carefully what you put on your body with toiletries, makeup and sunscreen.
Detox thru the Bowel: Anything less than two bowel movements per day is a type of constipation. Waste backing up in the bowel can create a toxic bowel. Due to our Standard American Diet, stress and lack of exercise, the bowel can become sluggish. It becomes a holding tank of accumulated waste and toxins which keeps the body from purifying itself. As our nutrients and water try to get absorbed it goes thru this waste so the toxins get back in the blood stream and deposited back into our cells. This is autointoxication and can contribute to chronic diseases. Many autopsies show the belly fat has these toxins in it as the body tries to deposit them somewhere besides our vital organs.
- To support your detoxification process you need to stay well hydrated. According to the National Institute Health, one should drink half your body weight in fluid ounces per day. There are 30 ml of water in one ounce.
- Fiber will adhere to toxins and helps to move them out of the body. Try to eat six to eight serving of vegetables per day. Greens and any kind of sprouted beans or seeds act as a scrubbing brush in your colon to cleanse it. Fiber acts as a prebiotic, which helps to feed beneficial bacteria in the gut. You don’t need a probiotic that has a prebiotic encapsulated with it, just eat your vegetables when you take your probiotic.
- Colon Hydrotherapy helps to cleanse, tone and restore. Warm and filtered water gently rinses the colon to remove encrusted fecal matter, gas and mucus. The closed system colon hydrotherapy is ideal for this soaking process. You feel rejuvenated and healthier because your vital nutrients are now absorbed more easily and not thru the old waste. Prevent autointoxication.
- Probiotics such as Thrive or Prescript Assist to help to build good bacteria in the gut. Beneficial gut bacteria plays important roles in vitamin production, mineral absorption, detoxification, digestive assistance, neurological problems, emotional issues and skin disorders.
- Digestive enzymes – to help you digest your food so the undigested food doesn’t become waste instead of nourishment.
- Try to establish a routine bowel movement first thing in the morning with a glass of water with lemon, walking around the house while breathing deeply, squatting on the potty by using a stool or box to put your feet on. The Chinese clock reports 5-7 a.m. is the colon cleansing time.
Detox thru the Lymph: the lymph glands transport waste from the cells into the major organs to be taken out of the body.
- Ion Cleanse footbath to detox the lymph meridian on a regular basis. Hydrate during the therapy.
- Lymphatic drainage massage by a trained Licensed Massage Therapist is a gentle and excellent way to detox the lymph. Swedish Massage can do a lot of good if you can’t find one.
- Skin brushing with a soft bristle brush towards the heart.
- 10 min on a mini trampoline daily – they come with a bar to hold onto. Or you can gently move up and down (bending your knees) with your feet safely on the shower floor.
- Aerobic exercise – walking, biking, running and swimming
- Sauna/cold pool dip or warm shower and then turn to cold and then warm.
- Drink water – half your body weight in fluid ounces. 16 oz in a water bottle. Sip, sip, sip throughout the day.
Detox thru the Liver, Kidneys and Gallbladder:
- Drink plenty of water
- Drink alcohol, teas and coffees in moderation
- If you awaken the same time in the middle of the night, consult the Chinese Clock to figure out which organ might need your support or attention.
- Eat the right foods mentioned below to support these organs
Free radicals are produced when food oxidizes – like the brown on the cut apple. These foods protect our body from these processes because they naturally contain substances called antioxidants. The following are foods with antioxidants:
- Organic deep colored berries
- Citrus fruits
- Green leafy veggies
- Bean or seed sprouts
- Soaked seeds
- Red & Orange veggies
- Dandelion greens
- Dark green leafy veggies
- Raw organic and soaked nuts
- Sea veges
- Legumes – (peas, beans)
Before you ever detoxify with juice, herbal or any other kind consider cleaning the colon first with colon hydrotherapy. Have a refrigerator with enough fresh fruits and veges for three days so it is there to eat and then go back every three to four days to restock. I have found belonging to a vege co-op can make you eat more vegetables and fruits because you don’t want to waste what you have purchased.
We cannot totally rid the body of all toxins. We can decrease the toxic load of the major organs, glands or tissues of our body so that it can function without interference. We can then re-establish optimal function and sustain it by changing our lifestyles to support a healthy body. It takes planning and cooking or fixing things at home. Get your family in the kitchen to help you and they will be more apt to eat what they have helped make. You can all be proud together.
Are you feeling tired, sluggish and achy? Not at your best? It may be time to focus on colon cleansing. Here’s why you need to cleanse and important facts about home enemas, colemas and colon hydrotherapy.
It has been said that all disease begins in the colon, but Body Ecology founder Donna Gates takes a more positive and more comprehensive outlook, saying, “All health begins in the digestive tract and creating a healthy colon is a great first step to wellness.”
Why is your colon so critical for good health?
Think of your colon as the waste management station of your body. All of the cells and tissues in your body – and your major organ of detoxification, the liver – rely upon a well-functioning colon so they can cleanse your body of toxins.
Yes, waste products that are left over from digestion of the food you eat is sent to your colon to be safely excreted from your body, but also important nutrients and hormones are still being absorbed or manufactured there as well. When everything is working in an efficient manner, your colon would be not only handle the waste, it would alsoabsorb leftover nutrients (like water, electrolytes, and vitamins) from digested foods and send them back for your body to use.
In essence, your colon is deciding what to get rid of and what important nutrients to redistribute.
Now, if you think it’s rare for people to have issues with their colon, think again!
Here are 3 important reasons everyone can benefit from colon cleansing:
- The average person has between 7 – 10 pounds of old fecal matter in their colon, even with a bowel movement each day.
- The accumulation of waste on the walls of your colon creates the perfect breeding ground for parasites, yeast, bad bacteria and viruses.
- In fact, for too many people today, detoxification pathways are essentially blocked. Over time, toxins build up. It is estimated that the average person is exposed to over 123 toxic chemicals each day from food, water, air, stress and personal care products.
Blocked detoxification pathways can result in autointoxication, which according to Dr. Bernard Jensen in his book Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management, “produces undesirable consequences in the body and is the root cause of many of today’s diseases and illnesses.”
Symptoms of blocked detoxification pathways or autointoxication are:
- Not feeling well overall
- Hormonal imbalance
- Achy muscles and joints
- Mucus discharge
- Fuzzy thinking
- Difficulty breathing
- Flu-like symptoms
- Vision issues
- Candida (yeast infection)
- Weight gain
Autointoxication can occur for four main reasons:
- Your colon gets backed up. If your colon gets backed up, waste can back up into the rest of your digestive tract and eventually into your kidneys and liver.
- Your body lacks the energy to make your colon function properly. In this case, the problem is not really your colon…it is a lack of energy to move contents through it in an efficient amount of time. Basically you lack the energy that allows your colon to do its job. In particular, energy comes from your adrenals and their partner, your thyroid. Adrenal fatique and low thyroid are two common causes of constipation or a sluggish colon. Stress and a lack of sleep weaken these energy-producing organs.
- Your stomach lacks adequate amount of hydrochloric acid. Consistently taking digestive enzymes that contain this vital stomach acid ( HCL) is often the key to eliminating constipation. Hard to believe? It is true. HCL is the enzyme that triggers all the other digestive enzymes to work effectively. It is also essential for absorbing minerals. Both contribute to having more efficient peristaltic movement…the muscle contractions that push food through and out of your colon.
- Your liver is congested. A liver that is sluggish and clogged-up from toxins creates a vicious cycle where a toxic colon poisons the liver and the congested liver slows down peristaltic movement. Stop poisoning your liver with drugs, alcohol, chemicals and angry negative thoughts and clean your colon.
Colon Cleansing Solutions
One of the important principles of health and healing is the principle of cleansing…in other words, detoxification.
But how do go about colon cleansing? It’s easier than you think!
Colon hydrotherapy uses pure filtered and warmed water to hydrate the muscles of your colon, loosening up old, hardened fecal matter so that it can be safely eliminated. To help you choose your best colon cleansing frequency, we recommend working with a certified colon hydrotherapist. We have witnessed thousands of cases where improving colon health has led to improving overall health.
To find a certified colon hydrotherapist: http://www.i-act.org/IACTSearch.HTM