Colon hydrotherapy is a restorative and painless therapy that is effective and relaxing. It is not a procedure. The goal is to provide filtered, pure water into the body in an environment with soft music and diffused essential oils. The client lies on a comfortable massage table. The therapist gently inserts a well lubricated small speculum into the rectum. The speculum is smaller than a normal bowel movement. The speculum is attached to a soft hose that carries the waste out into a drain, so there is no odor. The slow flow of water flows in and then out, as is comfortable for the client. As the waste softens and leaves the body it makes room for the next fill of water to soften the next area with waste. This closed system requires a knowledgeable therapist that can coach the client thru the session. This gives opportunity for questions and education about the colon and health. It also allows the therapist to gently massage the abdomen, during the elimination part of the outflow cycle, to help the colon release effectively. Many things affect our colon whether it is eating habits, elimination patterns, stress, emotions and/or hydration. In a trusting environment these things can be shared, as the client prefers, so that the therapist is aware and can understand their personal needs.
At Integrated Body Health we have high standards of cleanliness. After each client, the outside of the equipment, therapy table and private bathroom is sanitized. We use individual and disposable supplies. We focus on a safe, clean and spa environment for your time here. We see it as an internal spa day.
There is a great section under Services, Colon Hydrotherapy section that speaks to this. Remember, no food two hours before and no liquids one hour before. Please read the rest under colon hydrotherapy in order to be the best prepared and get your moneys worth.
No, this is absolutely not a medical appointment. It is a therapy. Some people think this is like a colonoscopy, which it is not. That is done by a medical doctor specializing in the care of the colon. The scope goes all the way around the colon from the rectum to the cecum, if able. Because the tube is hard there is the rare possibility that perforation (a hole) can occur. With colon hydrotherapy only water goes all the way around the colon, hopefully, depending on how much debris is there. The speculum is only placed 2.5 inches into the rectum, not the colon – not five inches as I have seen told on the internet. Please call us with any worrisome information you might read on the internet. You do not have to come thirty minutes before your appointment time as you might with a medical appointment. The first time, you need time to fill out paperwork but from then on 5 or 10 min before is plenty.
This depends on the client and their medical history as will be discussed on your first visit. If you have daily bowel movements and eat somewhat healthy you can come every 4 to 6 months or at the change in seasons. Some clients like to come every three months as they feel better with this frequency. Listening to your body helps to know when to come.
If you have mild constipation (BM every 2-3 days) or moderate constipation (BM every 3-5 days) then you realize it has taken years to get to such a point of chronic constipation and it can’t be expected to clear up with one session. Sessions of three or six is usually needed to see the wanted results along with dietary changes and the use of a great probiotic. You can either spread these out or use the first three within two weeks. The Mini Cleanse is very helpful where you have one session and then another the next day. You cleanse out a part of the colon and then start off where you left off, to get to the rest. This is very effective in removing old waste or imbalances. Remember, the dried debris on the glass pan that is “baked on” is a good illustration of the benefits of water and not chemicals to resolve constipation. The colon needs time to soak in water in order to soften the contents. Then the colon will know to begin peristalsis and let go. Water is very healing, cleansing and restoring.
For severe constipation (BM every 7-14 days) the above applies and monthly colon therapy would be advised to retrain the colon to empty and tone. Herbal supplements can also be taken for a vast improvement in frequency.
- With the closed system, the water pressure and temperature of the inflow of water can be adjusted by the therapist. This is important as different people tolerate different flow speeds of the triple filtered water.
- So, water enters the colon very slowly at ¼ to ½ psi (pound per square inch), unlike gravity fed or open systems that can use flow rates of 1-2 psi. The slow water flow allows the rectal area, which is used to evacuating things, to be able to allow the water to go by and enter the colon. So, instead of evacuating the water frequently this allows the water to sneak into “the nocks and crannies” of the colon so that the contents can soak (like a crusty lasagna pan). The colon will naturally move when the contents are softened with no pushing necessary. Typically, a session ranges from 35-45 minutes on the equipment.
- The therapist inserts the speculum. It is inserted into the rectum via the anus allowing the water to flow in via the fresh water inlet and out via the larger tube allowing the waste and water to leave the body in a passive way. The single use speculum is approximately 3/4″ in diameter which is smaller than a normal bowel movement. It is gently inserted 2-3 inches into the rectum, being lubricated with beeswax and lubricating gel. It comfortably holds the anus open during the session, thereby removing the need for the recipient to push the waste out. It is held in place under the client’s buttocks, so no worry of it coming out prematurely. The recipient remains on their back on the massage table throughout.
- The water from the filters connects to the incoming water line on the equipment, and the waste line attaches to an illuminated glass viewing tube that allows for observation. The waste goes out the speculum into the disposable waste line, then empties directly into the sewer system. The waste is “closed” to the air, hence the term “closed-system”, no open lines of water or waste which means it is odor free. This eliminates possible embarrassment from smell.
- A professional therapist administers the colon hydrotherapy and is present during the entire session to monitor, administer and massage the abdomen when the water is flowing out. Massage helps to loosen the waste from the colon wall and to encourage the normal emptying action of the colon thru the waste tube. So, the sessions consist of a series of inflows and outflows that encourage the colon to hydrate, cleanse and tone. The therapist is also there to answer any questions and to know when to end the session so the client can then have time in the bathroom to evacuate anything else. We allow 1 hr and 15 min appointments so you are not rushed but can relax while at Integrated Body Health.
A colonoscopy is not in order to cleanse the colon. It is a medical procedure in order to see the condition of the colon wall looking for abnormalities. Under anesthesia, they pass a tube with a camera built in, into the rectum, up the colon on the left side of your body, into the middle colon and then down the colon on the right side of your body. The tube goes all the way around if they can pass thru without any obstructions. Colon hydrotherapy only passes water all the way around from the beginning of the rectum and eventually to the beginning of the colon on the right side of the body. The speculum only goes 2 inches into the rectum so there is no way to puncture the colon wall as it doesn't go up there.
With enemas, the bowel can become as dependent on them as it would on chemical laxatives. With enemas, the water only enters the rectum and last part of the colon. Due to the higher flow of water with the help of gravity, it only stays there a short time. Enemas will not cleanse the entire length of the bowel as the body’s natural response is to get rid of anything in the rectum. The closed system for colon hydrotherapy allows for greater therapeutic benefit as the water enters at a very slow rate, so it can sneak into the nooks and crannies, to slowly enter the whole of the colon. The entire colon needs a good washing, to get rid of the sludge, impurities and parasites, not just the rectum. The beginning of the colon, where the appendix is attached, is also the second frequent spot of colon cancer. The number one spot for cancer incidence is in the sigmoid and rectum which is the end of the colon. Since you are removing old and new waste, the good bacteria percentage can only improve with regular colon hydrotherapy. It is recommended that you are on a probiotic that survives the stomach acid and is alive in the small intestine in order to start and maintain a healthy bacterial environment. Probiotics are available at Integrated Body Health and you can start these before your appointment, if you so desire.
Colon hydrotherapy can help you get a start on weight loss. There can be 10 – 15 pounds of impacted waste material in the pocket like anatomy of the colon. Colon hydrotherapy can help you get rid of this waste but the weight loss is not loss of body mass such as fat. Good eating habits are suggested that are a life style change, not a diet. Certain cookbooks and guidelines are recommended to help you make better food decisions. An appointment with a physician that can determine if you have any food sensitivities might help you avoid any foods that are setting up an inflammatory response in your intestinal tract. A pivotal book for dietary/lifestyle changes is “Eat Right 4 Your Type” by Dr. D’Adamo. His concepts and suggestions are individual to you specifically. No one way of eating fits every person – we have to allow and support our individual metabolic make-up. You can also find information at www.4yourtype.com.
In other ways, it does help you loose weight as it can help you detoxify your body. Regular colon cleansing can help the body get rid of the toxins that are being stored in your belly fat. Yes, the body fat cells swell up with more and more toxins as there are no organs to put them in, as they are already at max capacity. The body will divert the toxins to a non-life sustaining place like fat or an organ like the skin. Rashes or skin issues are a sure sign that the body needs a cleanse. It also makes you more aware of your body and the desire to take better care of it. You gain the energy to exercise and to eat healthier with less cravings as the candida has been washed out or killed by the probiotics.
Remember that laxatives put chemicals into your body and just remove current waste. They also dehydrate your body, as they take water from your body into your colon to make it move the very concentrated chemicals out of your body. Your colon becomes lazy and then requires such stimulants on a regular basis. Colon hydrotherapy is warm, filtered water which can soften and remove months to years of old metabolic waste material. It helps promote a healthy internal environment by eliminating pounds of old undigested waste and mucous in the colon walls. Also, we can put slightly cooler water in, during the last part of the session, to allow your colon to tone back up. Since it has taken years to get to such a point of constipation it can’t be expected to clear up with one session. Sessions of three or six is usually needed to see the wanted results. Then sessions every 3-6 months can usually maintain a healthy colon. Remember the lasagna pan illustration. The dried debris on the glass or lasagna pan needs time to soak in water in order to let go and be washed off.
Your colon hydrotherapy session will be 35 – 45 minutes on the equipment with 60 minutes for the whole appointment. Research has shown changes in the electrolyte balance when colon sessions last one hour and thirty minutes so there is no danger of that. Putting a pinch of sea salt in your purified water that you drink on a daily basis will help you maintain a good mineral base and help the water absorb better into your body’s cells. You should drink half your water weight in ounces,mostly in between meals and not with meals. If you are drinking a lot with meals you probably aren't eating food that has water in it, with your meals.
Yes. This is a good time to have colon hydrotherapy as your body has already started a cleansing process. In fact, many women report more movement of the colon at this time so your session will help this process along. If you are having cramps due to your period you might want to wait until day two or three for a session.
We do not bill insurance, but we will provide you with a receipt upon request. We are approved for Flexible Savings Account cards. We are not a Medicare provider. You can check with your insurance company if you are under the care of a gastroenterologist who has prescribed the procedure for a colonoscopy prep to see if they will cover the sessions.
Integrated Body Health requires 48-hour postponement notice for new clients and 24 hours for already established clients. As a reminder, we text one day before your appointment to confirm the date and time, so you won’t forget. However, appointments are considered confirmed when the appointment is scheduled.
1. An article from the American Cancer Society on colorectal cancer reads – “it is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined. Overall, the lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer is about 1 in 20 (5%). The death rate from colo-rectal cancer has been dropping in both men and women for more than 20 years. There are a number of likely reasons for this. One is that polyps are being found by screening and removed before they can develop into cancers. Screening is also allowing more colorectal cancers to be found earlier when the disease is easier to cure.” There is now increasing use of colon hydro-therapy for colonoscopy preps by the gastroenterologist. As the colon is cleaner, it can be seen by the physician. When he sees the actual colon tissue, instead of debris, then polyps and any kind of abnormal tissue can actually be seen. Any needed intervention such as a biopsy or removal can then take place. Many clients can’t tolerate the normal bowel prep, so they stop taking all that is prescribed and go in to the test with a dirty colon. Usually the doctor and staff figure this out when they are already into the procedure.
2. From the Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology in an article titled “Epidemiology and Burden of Chronic Constipation” it is reported that constipation affects up to 27% of the population. “Constipation is physically and mentally troublesome for many patients, and can significantly interfere with their daily living and well-being. Although only a proportion of patients with constipation seek medical care, most of them use prescribed or over-the-counter medication to improve their condition. The health care costs of constipation are significant as evidenced by the hundreds of million dollars spent yearly on laxatives alone.” It further states “Chronic constipation is an important component of clinical gastroenterology practice worldwide. Based on the definition, either self-reported or using Rome criteria, chronic constipation can affect from 2% to 27% of the population. Because constipation is more common in older patients and life expectancy is increasing, an increase in the prevalence of constipation is expected in the years to come, with the associated impact on quality of life and socioeconomic burden. Functional gastrointestinal diseases (FGIDs), including chronic constipation (CC), are among the most frequent illnesses seen by a gastroenterologist and account for up to one-half of patient care time. CC is a remarkably common and costly condition that can negatively impact the quality of life, and result in a major social and economic burden.” More can be read at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3206560.